What is a Tiny House? 

The classification of a tiny house is a small house that typically has a floor plan with an area of 180m2 or less.

What is the Tiny House Movement?

The Tiny House Movement is the social movement that advocates living simply in small homes. The reasoning behind people wanting to downsize and move into a tiny house is normally one of three reasons: 

  • To save money

  • To simplify their life

  • To help the environment. 

Another reasoning behind why people are going tiny is the affordability issue with housing. Living in a Tiny Home gives the ability and freedom for some to become homeowners in a time where becoming a homeowner is out of reach because of the cost of buying a home in today's economy.

Do I need council approval to have a demountable building on my land? 

We recommend that you contact your local council in the area you’re interested in and ask them directly. If they aren’t aware of the term ‘Tiny House’, ask them about Secondary Dwelling laws as they are generally interchangeable.

How big are the demountable buildings?

Our biggest building size is 12m long x 3m wide with a total floor space of 36m2. We also do a 6m X 3m building (total floor space of 18m2) and a 9.6m X 3m building (total floor space of 28.8m2)

Do the building come with any certifications, plans, etc...?

The buildings are secondhand buildings that have been refurbished inside and fitted out with internal non-structural walls, a refurbished kitchen, bathroom and storage. The building comes without engineering reports or plans but does come with a Form 16 for Waterproofing and also an electrical safety certificate. All electrical work has been undertaken by a qualified electrical contractor who provides this certificate.

All plumbing fit out and fit off are done by a qualified plumbing tradesman.

How much does transport cost?

This is dependent on your location and distance from our yard in Upper Caboolture. We can give you contact details for the transport company that we use on a regular basis for you to call and get a price.

The transport cost is not included in the price of the building.

What does the building need to be set up on once delivered to your site?

We recommend stumping that building as this gets the steel off the ground and out of the water to prevent rusting. Also, it needs to be off the ground so that the plumber on your end is able o get under the building to connect the water mains and sewerage to the tails for the kitchen and bathroom.

There are a number of ways to stump the building using bricks, block columns or steel. We recommend getting it done by a professional house stumper or qualified builder as they will know the correct way of going about it.

What other professionals will I need to employ to get the building installed?

Once the building is delivered to your site, the transport company will drop it off near to the site where you want it set up. That is all they can do. Once you have had the stumps prepared for the building to be installed, you will need to get a small crane (known as a Franna) to pick the building up off the ground and lower it onto the stumps. Then the builder or stumping professionals will secure the building in place once the building has been put onto the stumps.

If you choose to go through the council for approvals, you will need to get a structural engineer to do up the framing report and footings plans for the building on your site. Also, you will need a building certifier to help you with getting everything else over the line with your council. Every council is different and require different things.